No support for Norton System works 2001

Plas 14:37 04 Nov 2005

I bought a copy of Norton system works 2001 when it was the current version a few years ago. I have had least 3 years of updates for this product. I gave my pc to a relative in 2004, wiped the hard drive and reinstalled everyting including the system works 2001. As far as my relative is aware, there has been updates sent to the computer. A subscription renewal notice has come through asking to pay for another years fees. MY relative rang up the support centre at symantec to renew over the phone only to be told that she would have to upgrade to the latest version. Is there no obligation for Symantec to continue to support the anti virus software at least without forcing people to up grade?

Diemmess 14:57 04 Nov 2005

This is a moment when I would lose no time in clearing every scrap of Norton from my computer.

I would have to use all sorts of methods (after a Windows Add/Remove Software) and try to expunge every scrap left over in any part of the HD.

Finally I would download and install 3 free but excellent pieces of software - AVG for anti virus, Zone Alarm for a firewall (the free version not the Pro.) and Add-Aware, probably not so important but a comfort to use regularly in case something has slipped in.

I emphasise that this is a personal thing, but since doing this I have had neither malware nor a penny to pay for protection.

fullyfitted 15:11 04 Nov 2005

I had the same problem with Norton 2003 ie no more technical support. like you I was a bit miffed having bought the product and then paid the renewal fees.

I would take Diemmess's advice and ditch the thing

Previous postings in search will give some sound advice and some excellent links if you hit problems on the removal. I was lucky mine came out clean

feb 15:43 04 Nov 2005

Hi Plas

you will probably find that to upgrade a program costs only slightly more than the renewal of subscription.

I think I'm right in saying that Symantec usually only support their software for 2 or 3 years.

As other have said there are equally good, if not better programs available and some are free, but if you are happy with what you know then carry on!

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:45 04 Nov 2005

Why not use AVG, Ccleaner and regseeker? All free, all use little resources and all better than Norton IMHO.

G

Plas 19:53 04 Nov 2005

Thanks for your advise. I think I will ditch Norton and consider some of the alternatives suggested.

driving man 21:13 04 Nov 2005

Plas, My Norton was version 2003 (See prev. thread of 3 days ago ) and had a prob with live update . Phoned symantec (Norton ) and basicly told same as you -----Shell out again. I wouldnt mind but Id just renewed for a year and at no time was it pointed out that help had stopped for 2003. In disgust I have uninstalled it on 3 of my PC's and instead downloaded a freebie instead (zonealarm) See the thread by Fruitbat in absolute beginners for more good advice on keeping a Pc virginally clean. That and in conjunction with spywareblaster makes this lad a happy bunny (well, Happy old rabbit then)

woodchip 21:21 04 Nov 2005

You just do not need Norton AV. There are plenty of free ones on the net. I use Avast on my XP Laptop and Desktop

driving man 22:43 04 Nov 2005

further to woodchip's comments I use Avast as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?