no speakers or headphones are plugged in

ttmiller01 15:01 09 Nov 2014

when the comp rebooted after a forced shut down, the sound/speakers stopped working. the speaker icon has a red x, with the msg 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'. The previous error msg was no audio device is installed. i went to device manager uninstalled the driver and rebooted. same error message. this happened before, but the problem was fixed after plugging in headphones and removing the. the comp is a toshiba portege r835, windows 7 os. I have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

wee eddie 20:22 09 Nov 2014

What you have actually said is that your PC displays a message. "No speakers connected", which goes away when you plug in your speakers.

I'm sure that this is not what you meant. But what did you mean?

ttmiller01 20:51 09 Nov 2014

the last time i had the issue, plugging the headphones resolved the problem. now that's not the case. the problem is that the speakers on my laptop no longer work. i get an error msg no aduio device is installed from the playback... etc and on playback screen, digital audio device not plugged in

wee eddie 22:13 09 Nov 2014

The quick solution is an USB Sound Card at about a Fiver

beeuuem 22:24 09 Nov 2014

A forced shut down may have corrupted some files. You could try running System File Checker as detailed click here

bumpkin 22:24 09 Nov 2014

wee eddie, good suggestion, I used one in a friends when nothing else seemed to work and was very surprised with the results for nominal cost.

ttmiller01 20:47 06 Dec 2014

wee eddie,thanks for the suggestion. where can i get a usb sound card and is that something i can install on my own?

wee eddie 21:10 06 Dec 2014

Nothing to install. You just plug one into an USB Socket and then plug your speakers into it

ttmiller01 17:30 25 Jan 2015

Bee - i took my comp to a tech, who did determine it is a software issue: the sound drivers are corrupted. Is the only way to fix this to reload the operating system?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 25 Jan 2015

No just remove the drivers in device manager and update then from the manufacturers site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017