No sound/speaker icon

Halmer 23:05 04 Nov 2003

My lad has been given a half decent PC which he will use for games.

The system has Win 98 but has hardly been used.

It has 10GD HD and 128 RAM

I can't however get any sound for him. I'm fairly sure that I have the inputs into the speakers correct because they are colour coded. There are howver a number of options at the back of the PC (line, speaker. headphones symbol and two other symbols)

Is it just a co-incidence that the speaker icon that should be in the bottom right hand corner has vanished or could this be the cause please?

Djohn 01:04 05 Nov 2003

Yes, that could be the cause. You need to enable the sound, [It might be disabled, or muted] and at the same time you can have the volume Icon show in the system tray on the lower right of your taskbar.

I forget just how to do this from 98, but someone will pick up on this now and guide you through. j.

Gandalph 01:15 05 Nov 2003

Click Start>Control Panel>Multimedia there should be a box to check for showing the Volume Control on task-bar.

hugh-265156 01:20 05 Nov 2003
  Peverelli 01:21 05 Nov 2003

I think you can open the Device Manager via the Control Panel in W98 (funny how quickly you forget). See if there's a question mark next to the sound card entry. If so, you might need to reinstall it.

Also, open up Sound Recorder (I think it's Start>Programs>Accesories) and then click on Edit and then Audio Properties and then the Volume button under Sound Playback. That should come up with the volume controls and you can check whether anything has been muted.

Djohn 01:28 05 Nov 2003

This forum is great! Three people to the rescue in less than 20 mins. :o)

Peverelli 01:36 05 Nov 2003

Yeah, but one of us was a bit late ;O)

Djohn 02:08 05 Nov 2003

No, my friend, you were well within the time frame. I didn't count my first post as help, but said.

"I forget just how to do this from 98, but someone will pick up on this now and guide you through".

You all answered within 17 minutes of my post, hence my second post at 01:28 refering to youself, huggyg71, and Gandalph. :o)

Halmer 18:20 05 Nov 2003

I'll digest the details and have a go then post back later.

Halmer 19:52 05 Nov 2003

Click Start>Control Panel>Multimedia there should be a box to check for showing the Volume Control on task-bar.

The box is greyed out Gandolph.

Halmer 19:54 05 Nov 2003

Also, open up Sound Recorder (I think it's Start>Programs>Accesories) and then click on Edit and then Audio Properties and then the Volume button under Sound Playback. That should come up with the volume controls and you can check whether anything has been muted.

Nothing happens when I try this one. There is a momentary egg timer then back to the desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017