No sound/No audio device

AlexPB 09:48 17 May 2007

Hi there,

I have a Packard Bell I-media. Recently I have not been able to play any sound from it as when i go to Controll Pannel, Sounds and Audio devices it says No audio device. Ive checked the BIOS and thats all fine, ive also tried new speakers and that didnt work either, ive tried downloading the driver and that didnt work.

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this and what i need to do in order for me to get my sound back.

Thanks

RicScott 10:07 17 May 2007

Is anything at all showing in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game controllers? Anything for Realtek or Cmedia etc?
If there is, uninstall it and restart your PC.
If there is't, try going into Smart Restore, click Hardware, Media, Install.

If all else fails, try running a recovery, if the recovery doesn't work, do you have a Coverplan or PCPerformance on the PC? If so call: 0870 901 3000 to get your mobo swapped, if not...Go to a PC shop and pick up a sound card...Usually around £10.00 for a basic one.
When you fit it, don't forget to drop to BIOS to turn off the on-board sound chip.

AlexPB 10:16 17 May 2007

So If I just buy a new sound card will this solve the problem?

Thanks

RicScott 10:22 17 May 2007

If you run a recovery on the PC, this will reset your software....So if there is a glitch with your software, the recovery will solve the issue...However, if the recovery doesn't resolve the issue you have, fit a PCI sound card.

birdface 10:39 17 May 2007

Try Control Panel, Administrative Tools.Services.Make sure Windows Audio is set to Automatic.

AlexPB 11:20 17 May 2007

So im going to buy a new sound card for it. Does it matter if its an external card or does it need to be internal to solve the problem?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?