no sound on you tube and other websites

Toni84 23:46 30 Apr 2008

I wonder if anyone could tell me why I cant seem to hear anything when I go on you tube, also I cant hear music on myspace as well and various other websites. although with 4od I can only hear it and I cant get the picture but only if I download it to my pc, if it's live streaming it wont load. All of my music cd's seem to work fine and I've tried the sound settings but I just still cant get sound it is very annoying, any ideas???

brundle 23:47 30 Apr 2008

Flash needs updating, uninstall it first. Close all browser windows.

Flash uninstaller; click here
Flash installer (Non-IE is for Firefox and Opera) click here

Toni84 00:03 01 May 2008

I really dont think it's that I think I have the latest Flash player installed, and I've tried to download other stuff like codecs etc: I dont know what I can do because all my friends send me videos but I cant hear them, also I cant hear winks on my im as well but I can hear nudges. It seems to be selecting what it will and wont let me hear.

brundle 00:11 01 May 2008

Well the first three sites you mention require Flash. It's possible that Shockwave needs updating too, have you done that already? click here

The video aspect is usually a codec problem, but you've tried them.
Is it a recent problem? Can you play mp3 or wma files and hear them?

Toni84 12:03 01 May 2008

Yes I have no problem with most things I download (normally mp3 files) I'm not sure if wma files play though, but I dont think I've got Shockwave so I will try that as well thankyou so much :o)

Toni84 12:45 01 May 2008

I downloaded the Shockwave player as instructed, re-started my computer and tried you tube and still no sound is there anything else I can try?

brundle 19:14 01 May 2008

Try this; click here

Toni84 20:02 01 May 2008

Still nothing I dont know whats up with it, but thankyou.

brundle 20:05 01 May 2008

Do you get sounds if you load a Flash game? Or access a movie trailer site that runs in Flash (as most do) click here ?

Toni84 20:08 01 May 2008

Yes I can hear that fine, that's weird???

Toni84 13:50 03 May 2008

Right I've installed a new flash player and I changed the settings to allow the internet to store info on my computer and I checked the box that says always allow but sometimes when I check it is on always deny so I have to tick the allow box again, but I still have no sound, what shall I do now??????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?