no sound in windows only

stingger 13:28 25 Nov 2006

Its not my sound card, or web-cam the preview in the sounds in control panel is greyed out and there is no sound icon at bottom of screen even thou its ticked. I did read on another site the fix for it. But this is were I'm stuck ..

Apparently to fix it I should run windows recovery console .. but I have 2 sata hard drives (C) (G) .. C I used before i got G and wiped it for storage, so windows xp prof is on G .. But when I run recovery console and press R it goes to C: and I cant change it .. is there anyway around this to get my windows sound back ??
Movies, audio, everything runs fine appart from no sounds in windows or msn messenger and sites on-line.

PS. I dont use system restore so I cant roll back, but I do have RE-STORE IT and have made a back up of my (G) drive to (C) ... so I'm open to advice & help

Stuartli 13:45 25 Nov 2006

From Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sound tab>choice from menu of No Sounds or Windows Default and selection menu underneath of Windows Sounds which can be Enabled or Disabled.

stingger 22:08 25 Nov 2006

its set at windows default and they are all enabled with speaker icons next to them ... but the play sound button is greyed out.

Hence my need for help with console recovery. Its a very tricky area with sound but as I said on another forum the only solution was to re-install (via console recoverey) windows sound.

Unless anyone knows how I can get windows default sound settings back.

Ashrich 01:43 26 Nov 2006

Change your two SATA disks round to each others motherboard connectors , or just unplug your " c " drives power so it wont start , the other will default to " c " then you can do the repair .

Ashley

stingger 16:29 26 Nov 2006

Yes you would have thought :( but no joy all i get is

1. C:\windows

trying to type anything else (not that you can) results in "Invalid Selection"

Thx Bill Gates ... I'm seriuosly thinking I'm gonna have to re-format to get my sound back :( :( :(

I'm just seriously stuck on what to do next ?? other than format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?