No sound on Win 7 computer

aitch2 16:50 19 Mar 2014

External speakers on the computer were working up until 7-days ago but then suddenly have stopped.I can get sound (iTunes/you-tube/system sounds etc.) when I plug in my headphones to the socket on the computer but I cannot get sound through to the external speakers (2:1). Speakers are on, connected properly into back of computer. Have run diagnostics, and they work. Have gone through Device Manager with no conflicts. Drivers are all up to date. Everything reported as working properly. Have gone through the sound and mixer board/ speaker set-up etc. Nothing is muted and I can't think of what else to check to try to solve the problem. Have not installed any new programmes or hardware so everything is as it was before. Couple of windows updates have gone through but I don't think that the problem is there. Is there something obvious I have missed? Any suggestions.

wiz-king 17:24 19 Mar 2014

If they are powered speakers turn the volume on the speakers up high and touch the tip of the 3.5mm jack plug and you should get a loud hum. If you don't then the speakers have lost power, check the mains plug.

rdave13 19:53 19 Mar 2014

Right click sound icon in notification area and select playback devices. With speakers connected you should see them in the list. Make them the default playback device. Sometimes Windows won't return the speakers as default after disconnecting headphones or other devices.

aitch2 20:45 19 Mar 2014

Thanks for the replies. Wiz-King: have tried touching the 3.5mm jack and got a loud hum so speakers appear to be working OK. Checked all lead and connections and nothing untoward. rdave: Have tried the speaker icon from the notification area and checked that they were already the default speaker. Have been able to test the speakers via the configuration and properties button and everything OK there. Still no sound but OK on headphones.

Jollyjohn 13:20 20 Mar 2014

Just to confirm, if you plug your headphones into the speaker socket they work?

If yes, then there is a problem in the speaker wiring.

if no then the socket has failed.

PC World do a usb sound card £4.99 it works ok, I use one for testing.

click here

bumpkin 15:14 20 Mar 2014

Try the speakers on another device if you have one.

aitch2 14:55 23 Mar 2014

Solved the problem after trying all of suggestions. Removed cover from base unit and found a small amount of fluff/ dust congregating on the sound card. Dusted it down and cleared it. Hey Presto! Everyhting now back to normal. thanks for the help and suggetsions. Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?