No Sound Problem

BLUELEN 15:45 08 Jul 2007

In Sounds and audio properties no audio device is stated but all device properties are shown as working correctly. The only change I have made recently is a new hard drive but this shouldn't have effected anything. Have checked all connections internally and all seem in order. I have a Asus P4S8X-X Motherboard if that helps. Device manager has no indication of any problems. Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks

johndrew 16:35 08 Jul 2007

Have you got the `Volume` turned down? There is a volume icon either in the Taskbar on the right hand side or in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties/Volume tab make sure the `Place volume icon on the taskbar` box is ticked.

Left clicking the volume icon in the Taskbar will bring up the volume control or you can adjust it in Sounds and Audio Devices. If you Right click the icon or click Advanced in Sounds and Audio Devices you will get another window make sure all volumes are full and none have the Mute box ticked.

You can also go to `Options/Properties` in the Master Volume window and make sure all boxes are ticked for `Playback` and the other buttons.

If you have a volume control between the external speakers and the PC make sure that is turned up as well.

Let us know how you get on.

BLUELEN 16:50 08 Jul 2007

everything in the volume tab is greyed out can't click on anything

daxian 16:56 08 Jul 2007

hi bluelen...
looks like windows has "lost" the drivers for the sound card....install the drivers again, should sort it ......Dave

BLUELEN 17:04 08 Jul 2007

As the sound is incorparated within the motherboard as opposed to a separate sound card, do I install the drivers for the motherboard complete or can I just install one just for the sound. Haven't installed drivers before so not quite sure what to do. Thanks

daxian 17:10 08 Jul 2007

hi again ...
will depend on the drivers disk, some allow to install individual drivers, others run a wizard to install all the drivers for you ....pop in the disk and see ....Dave.

BLUELEN 17:22 08 Jul 2007

Presume you mean the disc that came with the motherboard?

rabadubdub 17:56 08 Jul 2007

Have you disabled Onboard Sound in the Bios, by accident?
You could try removing sound devices in Device Manager, then restarting to let windows find and install the drivers itself or, alternatively, select Update Driver when in device properties.

Rab

daxian 17:59 08 Jul 2007

hi again ...yes that is the one ..as the sound is built into the motherboard...dave

BLUELEN 20:48 08 Jul 2007

Thanks all sorted now

daxian 21:17 08 Jul 2007

hi bluelen ....glad its sorted for you ,dont forget to tick as resolved .....Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?