No sound on Pc i've been given.

trv4n 22:19 19 Jun 2008

Hello I have been given a pc from a neighbour. I have set it up and there is no sound.Win xp is the OS.
I have looked at other postings for a resolution and have got confused In wm11 it says 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly'
.There is a yellow question mark in "other devices" in the ' device manager' and when you open it it says~ multi media controller- I have tried to update driver-and it says cannot find software. I've been in to somthing else from another 'posting' and it is set as 'automatic' Any advice? Thanks.

chub_tor 22:29 19 Jun 2008

Device Manager, Sound,Video and Game Controllers, highlight the Audio device with the yellow question mark, Right click, Properties, Driver Tab, at the bottom click on Uninstall the driver. If necessary go back and uninstall the audio device. Reboot and let Windows find the driver.

ambra4 22:31 19 Jun 2008

Sound card driver is missing you need to go to the computer manufacture site and download the correct sound driver for the model computer

trv4n 22:41 19 Jun 2008

Chub_tor I uninstalled the multi media controller.On re boot It tried to find software from the internet unsuccessfully.

ambra4: how can i found the sound card to down load the drivers?

ambra4 22:57 19 Jun 2008

what is the make and model of the pc

ambra4 23:12 19 Jun 2008

Download SIW - System Information for Windows

Everything you want to know about your computer

Click on motherboard and it will tell you the model and the manufacturer of the motherboard

click here

trv4n 10:51 21 Jun 2008

apologies for the delay: I have downloaded the SIW and found that my m/board is an Asus k8m800-8237. Do i go to the asus site and just search for the drvers and down load?

ambra4 11:10 21 Jun 2008

Yes Just enter the information

click here

ambra4 11:18 21 Jun 2008

Download all the drivers and software listed for the motherboard and burn to a cd, it will save you

having to download again in the future if you have to reinstall windows or any of the hardware

trv4n 11:36 21 Jun 2008

i WILL HAVE A LOOK AND TRY AND FIND THE DRIVERS,thanks

trv4n 11:49 21 Jun 2008

hmm, gone on the asus site and having difficulty finding it... will keep trying I have 10-15 mins left.Then I will have to try mon evening hopefully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?