No Sound from PC

pbooks 21:54 14 Oct 2008

Please can anyone help me, as I have lost the sound from my PC. I was cleaning out files & may have deleted something. The sound used to play fine.
I have checked the Multimedia option in control panel, but this was greyed out on "audio section".
When I try to play a video that contains sound, I get the message in media player "Cannot play back the audio stream: No audio hardware is available(error = 00040258)".
As stated that sound did play before I cleaned out files, so there is a sound card.My PC is a Compaq that runs Win 98.
Please can anyone assist.
Thank you

Technotiger 21:58 14 Oct 2008

Try a System Restore back to before you did the clean-out.

ronalddonald 22:05 14 Oct 2008

the pc come with a drivers cd, insert and load up the sound drivers,

pbooks 00:17 15 Oct 2008

Thanks for your suggestions, but after I tried them it did NOT resolve problem. I am still confused as NO Sound still. Is there anything else I can try?
Please Help?

tullie 05:36 15 Oct 2008

To be honest,i have never had a pc or laptop that came with a cd with drivers?

kalignorgna 08:53 15 Oct 2008

download SIW once open go to hardware>Video ur looking for the display adapter and video processor click here or download EVEREST Ultimate Edition trail at click here once open go to devices>windows devices then clcik on the yellow ? symbol and it will tell u what u need to know

kalignorgna 08:54 15 Oct 2008

sorry here are the links click here and click here

Technotiger 09:03 15 Oct 2008

Your symptoms suggest a corrupted Windows file - run click here in its default form, and this might just sort it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?