No sound and no modem

Jak_1 20:11 25 Oct 2006

A friend lost sound on his pc about 2 weeks ago after moving the machine upstairs, xp-home, onboard sound. All connections checked, all seated properly. This week the modem is playing up, no dialing tone, modem diagnostics reveal nothing. Internal 56k modem. Was thinking, could this be a psu problem, all else seems fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Jak_1 22:07 25 Oct 2006

bump

skidzy 22:20 25 Oct 2006

This little tester is a very handy piece of kit to have by you.click here
I bought one to test a dodgey psu,and a new one for my rebuild.

Hope this helps Jak,sorry not really a straight answer though.

I guess you tried a system restore to before the machine was moved to upstairs.

Miros 22:35 25 Oct 2006

I have just had a hell of a problem after a full reinstall of OS could not get ISP to find modem, turns out I had in the meantime moved a phone and not fitted it with a filter, once fitted everything was A OK again, hope this helps? check your filters on all phones.
Spent several frustrating hours sorting this out, without the aid of this excellent forum. couldn't get on line :-(

Just reread your first Contribution think I'm up the wrong tree, I have broadband, think your talking about dial up? I will throw it in anyway for what it's worth.

Jak_1 00:27 26 Oct 2006

Thanks for your replies, I am leaning towards a dodgy psu. The pc was built for him not shop bought so in the first instance I will advise him to replace the psu prob with a higher wattage. He is an electrician so he should be able to master that, lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?