no sound from my laptop

BooST 22:39 19 Mar 2010

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one that I need help with.

I have system sound and have sounds when I play a cd but I also have a vast library of songs on my hard drive that use to play ok but now wont.
Everytime I try and play one I get C00D11B1 error code.

Im running windows 7 and windows media player 12, all of which was working fine.

I haved run various virus checks and they are ok
Any ideas

Many Thanks

BooSt

MAT ALAN 22:44 19 Mar 2010

could be related to a CODEC issue or FIREWALL configuration...

northumbria61 23:17 19 Mar 2010
  BooST 09:22 20 Mar 2010

Hi All,

I checked out northumbria61 advice but that pointed to video files and although it was a worthey site for future reference the video part of it works fine.
It plays dvd's with sound ok and plays cd's ok but wont play any music files or voice WMA recorded files stored on my hard drive.

If I use a different program to open the same music file it will play ok but not if I use windows media player ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:42 20 Mar 2010

If play OK with other programs then:
Media player is definitely missing the codec for your music file.

click here has all the codecs your ever likely to need, you can down;oad severl different versions with or without media player classic.

woodchip 10:27 20 Mar 2010

1 Fix maybe click here

another could be click here

cheap 10:51 20 Mar 2010

Have you tried a system restore to before this problem started.

BooST 20:39 20 Mar 2010

Hi,

unfortunatly bit of a novice when it comes to technical stuff, I read the write up on the codecs from Fruit Bat /\0/\ and scared me silly with all the bad reviews, woodchip also meant I had to go into command prompts etc, im not that brave.
I tried cheap and did the system restore again but on another date and still no joy.
Strangley enough when I reversed it, it gave me back the songs that are on my hard drive but not the WMA files which still come up with C00D11B1 error code ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 21 Mar 2010

click here lots of solutions one of them should fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017