No sound on my laptop

belayer 17:06 04 Apr 2008

The sound on my laptop has topped working, no sounds at all, no cd/dvd sounds and no system bleeps etc.

I went into 'Control Panel' - 'Sounds' and everything is 'greyed out' so I can't alter anything. A diaologue box came up saying the computer has no sound device.

What does it mean by a 'device'? How can I fit/install one?

Gongoozler 17:25 04 Apr 2008

It sounds to me like the sound driver has got lost somehow. You should be able to download it from the maker's website.

Ditch999 17:59 04 Apr 2008

What OS? You need to get to Device Manager to see if your hardware has any yellow exclamation marks at it. If it does you need to re-install the drivers.

woodchip 18:07 04 Apr 2008

As above first thing to check is Device Manger for yellow icons. If there is none, right click sound Icon in System tray check sound is not muted

belayer 19:42 04 Apr 2008

I get a message saying I have no device installed. Is a device different to a driver? I went to the Acer website and downloaded a new sound driver.

Ditch999 19:51 04 Apr 2008

A device is the hardware inside your laptop and the driver is software that makes it work. Go to Contol Panel>System>Harware>Device Manager. You should have a list of the hardware in your laptop with little + signs beside each one. At the bottom there should be Sound, video and Game Controllers. If any have yellow exclamation marks beside them they need their driver re-installed.

belayer 20:02 04 Apr 2008

They all look fine, no yellow exclamation at all. I have a Realtek AC'97 Audio, apparently, and that is the driver I downloaded from Acer too.

belayer 20:03 04 Apr 2008

I am using XP by the way.

belayer 20:05 04 Apr 2008

Is the UK defined as Region 2 for CD/DVD purposes? (Just checking everything I can think of)

Ditch999 20:10 04 Apr 2008

Ok. In Device Manager > Sound Video Game Controllers if you right click on Realtek AC97 select Properties and make sure Use this device is selected at the bottom. Then click Driver tab, it should tell you what driver it is using. If you installed the driver from Acer it should be that one. Or you can click Update driver and let it search for the best driver. Let it search the internet as well.

belayer 20:20 04 Apr 2008

I did all that, but I have fixed it!!!

Went into Run - msconfig - services and found that 'Windows audio' had no tick by it, so ticked it, re-booted and hey presto!

Thanks for all the suggestions, frustrating isn't it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?