no sound from my dvd writer

Old Geeza 15:55 28 Dec 2007

I have just installed a dvd writer in place of my dvd player in my pc, but I cant get any sound from it....the dvd player worked fine without a sound cable and I assume that the dvd writer should also do the same....also my pc is also reporting in my computer that I still have the dvd player as well as a cd writer(which I do have still connected) and the dvd writer. I have rebooted a few times but no change. When I switched back on after the installation it picked up the dvd writer no problem. Any ideas guys.

Technotiger 16:14 28 Dec 2007

Are the Jumpers on your new dvd writer set correctly to whether it is a Slave or Master?

Also check the Properties of your new drive to see that they are set accordingly. (Right-click on dvd in My Computer etc)

Stuartli 16:54 28 Dec 2007

In Device Manager, highlight your optical drive(s)>Properties>Properties tab>tick Enable Digital Audio on this drive.

Stuartli 16:56 28 Dec 2007

I would keep your rewriter purely for burning and use the ROM drive for installing software, listening to audio disks etc.

Old Geeza 18:10 28 Dec 2007

Jumpers set correctly and properties are all ok, also enable digital audio is ticked, but still no sound.

Old Geeza 19:24 28 Dec 2007

have just played a cd using the dvd writer and sound is fine....????

Old Geeza 19:40 28 Dec 2007

should I have to set the region in the properties of the dvd writer to be able to get sound from the dvd?

Technotiger 19:56 28 Dec 2007
  Technotiger 20:06 28 Dec 2007

Or it might be a Codec problem - download and install this complete XP codec pack.

Technotiger 20:07 28 Dec 2007
  Old Geeza 20:26 28 Dec 2007

Thanks very much Technotiger, the codec pack seems to have sorted it out.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?