No Sound on my Computer

Toria 09:45 30 May 2010

Good Morning, I am getting no sounds at all from my computer, can you advise me what I need to do? Thank you.

onthelimit 09:49 30 May 2010

PC, laptop? Built in speakers, separate? Operating system? Would help to advise.

lotvic 09:53 30 May 2010

Desktop? Laptop? Make & model? External Speakers? Operating System? Separate Sound card, CD's no sound? Windows no sound? Program used? full details please.

First step is to switch off pc and check all cables, unplug them and then plug them back in and then reboot (startup) pc.

lotvic 09:53 30 May 2010

Snap :)

onthelimit 09:54 30 May 2010

Great minds, etc!

Sea Urchin 15:39 30 May 2010

And if no luck there try reinstalling the sound card driver

click here

onthelimit 19:56 30 May 2010

...that people post and then don't react to replies. May be just beacause it's a BH Sunday, I suppose!

Toria 17:23 01 Jun 2010

My apologises for the late response! It is a desk Dell computer, operating system XP. I was given the computer by my daughter and cannot remember if there was sound when I first had it! I believe I do get sound when I play a CD but otherwise I don't appear to get any other sound at all. It has been unplugged and and reconnected since I have had, could I possibly have put a wrong cable in the back?

onthelimit 17:40 01 Jun 2010

Welcome back! You will find two small sockets on the back, coloured green and pink. The lead from the speakers should be in the green one. If that's OK, it will be worth looking at the sound settings. Have a look and come back to us. By the way, are the speakers built in to the monitor, or are they separate?

morddwyd 06:46 02 Jun 2010

The fact that you can play a CD is a good sign!

Can you play radio stations or mp3 files?

Do you get the system sounds - the Windows startup sound and the like?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017