No sound via Line in socket

Pat.B 22:01 11 Jan 2007

I have a turntable connected to my PC via the line in socket, with the intention of converting vinyl to WAV files. This was working OK, but I did a restore on the PC a while ago, and now I'm not getting any sound through. There is probably something muted somwhere, but not in Sounds and Audio Devices within Control Panel. I'm on Windows XP Media Centre. Can anyone think of anywhere else I should check?

Technotiger 22:12 11 Jan 2007

Hi, have a look in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers, see if there are any yellow exclamation marks.

audeal 23:04 11 Jan 2007

Right Click on the Speaker icon in the System Tray. (Where the clock is). Click on Adjust Audio Properties. Then Click on the Audio Tab. Then Click on Volume in the Sound Recording Section and make sure the Line In has a tick in the box. Note only one item can be selected at a time here.

woodchip 23:08 11 Jan 2007

As audeal but go to Options and check recording is not mutted for what you want to do

Stuartli 23:40 11 Jan 2007

>>Note only one item can be selected at a time here.>>

This is patently not correct...:-)

audeal 23:58 11 Jan 2007

Stuartli: In my experience when you select one item then all other items are unselected.

Bare in mind that I am talking about the Wave In Window where only one item can be selected at a time.

For example, if you select Line in and start recording audio and the Mic is also selected then you would have a mixed recording. That is why only one item can be selected.

Stuartli 00:06 12 Jan 2007

I have several selected at the moment (Mic is Disabled for use with Skype), but if I add Mic then they are still all Enabled.

However, I don't use the recording side so you may well be right.

audeal 01:36 12 Jan 2007

Stuartli: I also use Skype ( using the Mic ) as well as doing Video Capture ( using Line In ) so therefore I have reason to use both Recording and speech and therefore I know I am right. I suggest you check it out.

Stuartli 10:37 12 Jan 2007

I also use a webcam with Skype - however in my case the Mic is Disabled in both Playback and Recording sections even though I use a headset.

Don't ask me why this has to be so. Because of problems getting the sound to work properly a good while back now using Skype, I followed the Skype website's advice on sound configuration...:-)

Whatever, the sound and webcam side work as intended, although I sometimes have to knock off the webcam to boost available bandwidth.

Gongoozler 10:57 12 Jan 2007

I suspect that whether only one input or multiple inputs can be selected depends on which sound card is used. My sound card is a very basic Creative AudioPCI, and that definitely only allows one input to be selected at a time.

Stuartli 11:15 12 Jan 2007

My Skype (and general sound) setup is exactly the same now I've switched back to the Realtek onboard sound as with a Creative SoundBlaster Live!

As you say it may well be certain combinations where it doesn't follow the anticipated outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?