no sound on laptop after watching DVD through TV

purdu 19:05 26 Jul 2003

PLEASE can you help? This afternoon, I connected my laptop to the TV to watch a DVD disk and viewed the film on the TV screen and heard the sound through the TV speakers. The problem happened when I put the setting back to the laptop? now I cannot hear any sounds from the laptop! I can hear system sounds and listen to a CD or DVD through headphones and still can get sound through the TV speakers. How do I get sound back onto the laptop, please? Op. system is Windows XP. I have tried system restore with no luck. All volume settings appear to be as usual. Would be grateful for your help?

hugh-265156 19:47 26 Jul 2003

control panel/sounds and audio devices/audio/volume and make sure that the mute boxes are not ticked.

test the hardware by typing "dxdiag" into start/run,click on the sound and music tabs and run the tests.click on "more help" and run the troubleshooter.

purdu 20:29 26 Jul 2003

Thanks for your suggestions. We had already tried them both ? but went through them again after your reply. Still no joy. Then we connected laptop to TV again and threw the screen back and forward to TV/laptop a couple of times and Hey Presto! Sound came out of the laptop again. End of panic. Many thanks for your interest and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?