No Sound - Final Check.

morddwyd 19:53 13 Feb 2011

Despite all the suggestions offered in an earlier post, and various other threads, here and elsewhere, I am still getting no sound through the headphones on my desktop, either from the onboard sound, or two PCI soundcards (Creative) I have tried (system sounds through the speaker are OK).

I know the signal is there as it can be seen as the normal fluctuating bar graph in the sound settings.

Headphones work OK in other devices.

Applies to mp3, streaming audio, CDs etc.

Any desperate suggestions before I go for a USB external soundcard?

(Win 7 64 bit, Asus M2N4 SLI mobo)

MAT ALAN 19:57 13 Feb 2011

common denominator in all this seems to be the H/phone socket, so i'll go with that, it's busted...

morddwyd 21:13 13 Feb 2011

All three of them (one on the motherboard, one each on two different soundcards)?

Unlikely.

Quiller. 21:16 13 Feb 2011

My thoughts also.

Did you delete drivers and entries in device manager before you installed the new sound card/cards.

morddwyd 22:09 13 Feb 2011

Yes, I've been chasing this for some time.

I even went so far as to do separate clean installs of Windows, both 32 and 64 bit, to check out the sound cards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:34 13 Feb 2011

Must be muted somewhere :0)

uninstall the audio driver through device manager and making sure to check the box that says something like "uninstall all driver software" restart computer tell windows update to ignore the soundMAX driver.

morddwyd 23:11 13 Feb 2011

Tried that and various other device manager options. If the audio drivers are not installed I would get no output, but I am getting output, as shown by the audio output indicators.

It just isn't getting to the phones/speakers

With a clean install, of course, the only way it could be muted is if the onboard audio is disabled in the BIOS. It isn't.

Woolwell 23:41 13 Feb 2011

Please confirm speakers work ok with all sounds (not just system but CDs, etc as well). If this works I don't believe it can be drivers or sound card problems.
Are the headphones being connected front or back of desktop?
Have you tried the headphones without the speakers connected?
How are the speakers configured - stereo, 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1?
Have you tried the headphones with the speakers set to stereo only?
Long shot is the mic muted?

I am Spartacus 00:15 14 Feb 2011

Have you checked Sound, Playback settings in Control Panel? If you have a USB sound device plugged in it seems to take precedence over and other options including on-board sound. I found this out when I plugged in a USB keyboard that has a sound chip built in.

MAT ALAN 07:58 14 Feb 2011

morddwyd of course you are absolutely right,bit of a blonde mement there...

morddwyd 08:20 14 Feb 2011

Sorry, confused the issue talking about the system speaker.

I meant that I get the BIOS bleeps bleeps from the tinny little speaker, hardly worthy of the name, clipped to the front panel.

I have no onboard speakers as such.

Tried speakers/phones in all configurations, front, back, stereo, 5.1.

I agree with you, I don't think it's a driver or soundcard problem, because the output shows up in the signal meter in the various sound setting. The signal is simply not getting to the phones, through neither the on board sound headphone socket or the PCI bus.

I suspect it is an actual motherboard fault, probably unfixable.

I am Spartacus - Don't have a USB sound card, that's what I'm thinking of trying next.

However, I will look at all my USB devices to make sure there is no sound chip tucked away somewhere (I'm on the other computer at the moment).

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?