NO SOUND - An embarrassed plea

Scabby 21:47 30 Apr 2007

Im embarrassed to ask this but I'm genuinely stuck!

Dell 2300 Dimension
Windows XP, SP2
Soundblaster Live

I bunged in this old card to handle the sound for games, couldn't get the card working so I ignored it and went back to the on-board sound (thinking I would do it later )
That has been working fine for months - till now, suddenly no sound - but
Hardware manager say's no problems, Sound volume is greyed out, Advanced volume controls will not open, reports no active mixer controls installed.

I have gone through the normal checks and all seems ok
Speakers work fine,
Drivers appear to be working fine
Hardware device manager reports all fine,
no sound

I know guys but someone,

The correct procedure for un-installing and reinstalling would be a great help

Technotiger 22:00 30 Apr 2007

Hi, even though device manager reports all is fine - go to device manager again, click on Sound Video and Game Controllers then highlight your Creative SB then right-click and click on update driver. Then back out to desktop.

Did exactly this two days ago and successfully restored sound on my partners pc - which had been working fine but which had 'lost' its sound.

STREETWORK 22:00 30 Apr 2007

Open control panel and then open sound and audio devices.

Check that nothing is muted here.

If still a problem, reinstall the drivers from Creative website for the sound card.

Technotiger 22:02 30 Apr 2007

Ooops, just missed, you have reverted to onboard sound, but the same applies, except highlight your onboard sound and click on update driver.

Scabby 00:18 01 May 2007

Just updated the drivers - no effect

Technotiger 06:43 01 May 2007

Uninstalling - first run CCleaner click here
after running CC go to Tools in CC and if there is any mention of your sound card there, run CC's Uninstaller.

skidzy 06:51 01 May 2007

Also consider missing or damaged audio codecs.
The xp codec pack click here

Im guessing you tried System Restore ?

This may be the work of a Microsoft Update,so try SR.

birdface 09:16 01 May 2007

Try,Control Panel,Administrative tools,Services, Scroll down to windows audio, Make sure it is set to automatic.Also make sure it is not switched of on your Keyboard,Happened to me,Grandaughter had switched it off.

birdface 09:23 01 May 2007

Try rolling back your driver to previous one ,that sometimes works,Especially if you have downloaded any updates from Microsoft,

wrfc_rabbit 11:06 01 May 2007

When you start your computer up enter your BIOS and look for the sound card settings...somewhere it hides...make sure its enabled...i hd a similar problem where i had onboard sound that i replaced wit PCI but when i removed the PCI it had disabled my onboard in the BIOS! hope i helped :P

Nathan

Scabby 11:21 01 May 2007

Buteman your the man,
[quote]Try,Control Panel,Administrative tools,Services, Scroll down to windows audio, Make sure it is set to automatic.Also make sure it is not switched of on your Keyboard,Happened to me,Grandaughter had switched it off.[/quote]
I must have installed some software that turned it off.
thanks man

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?