No sound - desperate

Babsy2222 07:54 20 Sep 2008

Can somebody please help me? I've got into a real mess. My computer suddenly had no sound and I was advised to do a restore back to a time when I know the sound was OK. This I did to the previous week however I have wiped off all of my son's I tunes and the Real Player has been wiped off too! (and still no sound) I am in big trouble! Can anyone advise me? all I want to do is get the sound back. (I tried another restore to yesterday but no luck)

crosstrainer 08:12 20 Sep 2008

What operating system are you using?

Normal procedure is:

Control Panel > system > devices (XP) scroll down the list and see if you have any entries with little yellow exclamation marks against them.

If you do, tight click the entry(s) and choose update driver (allow windows to search online for the correct driver)

If this fails, post back with make and model of Motherboard / sound card / chip and we can find the drivers for you.

Your sons Ipod stuff is gone I'm afraid...

tullie 08:20 20 Sep 2008

Undo restore points back to where pc was,you should have your Real Player and itunes back, then try crosstrainers suggestions.Let us know result.

feb 09:09 20 Sep 2008

The first thing to check when there is no sound is the wiring. Connections can become loose or dislodged when the PC is moved for dusting or vacuuming etc.

As tullie says, "Undo restore points back to where pc was"

System restore should not delete any files!

birdface 10:26 20 Sep 2008

Make sure that you do not have the sound disabled on your keyboard.Or try Control panel.Administrative tools.Scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to Automatic.Make sure you have the volume turned up on the speakers and they are switched on,Sorry for stating the obvious but it has happened before.Or Control panel.Sound and audio devices.Make sure mute is not ticked.Can you move the slider bar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone