No Sound Dell Latitude 520

Scubaman 15:59 09 Dec 2009

Hi Guys, I have been given a Dell Latitude 520 laptop and there appeares to be no sound. I have looked in the control panel and on the sound and audio devices properties under volume, it sats 'No Audio Device'. Does this mean no sound card it installed. What about an onboard one? I have looked in the BIOS and can see no mention of anything to do with a sound device!
Cheers

GaT7 16:40 09 Dec 2009

What does Device Manager say under 'Sound, video & game controllers'? Any exclamation marks there at all? G

Scubaman 19:51 09 Dec 2009

If I double click Sound and Audio Devices the properties window shows 'No Audio Device'

GaT7 20:31 09 Dec 2009

That may be because drivers are not installed for it.

As I said before, what does Device Manager indicate?

Main support page for the D520 at click here, with the download section at click here. Download & install the Audio > Sigmatel driver. Reboot system if successful. G

Scubaman 21:56 09 Dec 2009

Device manager lists under sound, audio and game controllers,
Audio Codecs - Device working properly
Legacy Audio Driver - Device working properly

I am unable to download the drivers, when I click the link and try to download the drivers I get a message saying Internet explorer cannot display the web page

GaT7 22:42 09 Dec 2009

Try this link click here.

Although if integrated sound is not showing up in Device Manager I don't think it'll work. Give it a go anyway. G

Scubaman 16:36 10 Dec 2009

I am unable to access the web site for that link either. I have tried the DELL web site and the same happens there. It must be something to do with my browser. I will check it out and re-post the problem later on. Thanks for your trouble Crossbow7. Merry Christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?