No sound from Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop

theearlofsabden 14:09 24 Nov 2013

Hi all

Just done a fresh install of XP Pro, now no sound, no startup/shutdown music. The sound card is OK, the speakers are working as the error bleeps etc are making there sounds. Any ideas please?

Thanks Neil.

Ian in Northampton 14:17 24 Nov 2013

It sounds like you haven't installed the sound/audio drivers, which aren't part of XP and which you should be able to get from the Dell website. There may be other drivers you need to install too - look in Device Manager for yellow exclamation marks.

theearlofsabden 14:29 24 Nov 2013

Hi Ian

There are no yellow exclamation marks and I have installed all the sound drives from Dell UK, still not sound?

Thanks

theearlofsabden 16:21 24 Nov 2013

Downloaded the sound driver from Dell, on installation, message is "no supported device," what next? what can I do to get sound out of this laptop?

Thanks Neil.

Ian in Northampton 16:28 24 Nov 2013

That error would tell me you have the wrong driver. I hate to ask, but - are you sure you've got the right driver for your model of the 6400? Here, it looks like there are three to choose from.

onthelimit1 16:44 24 Nov 2013

If you get really stuck, download the free version of Slimdrivers. It should see the missing audio driver and allow you to download the correct one. Ignore any other driver updates it recommends (if it aint broke, don't fix it!).

theearlofsabden 18:01 24 Nov 2013

Hi

Ian - thanks but installed these from Dell, but whilst running the installer error says that there are no "support devices".

Onthelimit - running slimdrivers now - will get bcak to you.

Thanks.

theearlofsabden 19:02 24 Nov 2013

Hi

I have run and installed ALL missing drivers from SlimDrivers, but still no different. Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices, the Volume & Audio tabs are totally greyed out: Volume tabs saying "No Audio Device."

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017