No sound on Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop help

ray27 09:06 26 Jan 2010

I have been trying to get an old Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop working with the help of the very helpful people on this site and I am very nearly there but for one problem I can't get any sound.

I have 2 hard drives the original one which is very small and as such everything was going at a snails pace it could take 5 mins just to open up Word etc so I have replaced it with a larger hard Drive which works a great deal quicker But I just cant get the sound to work.

I have checked out the sound in control panel and all the options are greyed out and when I went to device manager everything was ther ok except for "Sigma Tel C-MAJOR Audio (with a yellow !)

I clicked on this and ticked the option to update driver and it came back with unable to find a better one than the one installed can any one help me out wit what could be the problem Cheers Ray

I have had similar problems. First things is older laptops will be slower and the clock rates inside are slower and the software is getting mor demanding on speed.

I would recommend reinstalling XP (I assume it's this) to clean everything out). You should have the DELL discs, if not get them from DELL. Make sure you extract all Keys from the laptop first so the reinstall is legit and you can get all the updates (SP3 etc).

If you don't want to do that get the audio driver from DELL (that's what I did on the same laptop some time ago).

I would not think the laptop can be upgraded to Vista (too slow) but you may consider Ubuntu as an alternative (may not be quicker but just a thought).

Google your problems and you should get answers for a common laptop such as that one.

ray27 09:38 26 Jan 2010

It has been a clean install of windows XP and I have the all the Dell disks and I also installed the audio driver from the dell disk
If I replace the old drive the sound works fine
I had to install service pack 2 which I had on disk and it has downloaded some updates today one of them is internet explorer 8
It is taking forever to install that it has been going now for over half an hour If I cancel the install will it harm the computer ?

cream. 13:51 26 Jan 2010

Download and install this file click here

see if it works.

ray27 14:20 26 Jan 2010

I have already downloaded that file and I also installed the same one on the Dell disk that I have, taking care to uninstall the driver via device manager

I checked out what the audio stated in device manager on the old hard drive, that’s the one that works ok but is so small everything goes at a crawl and they are exactly the same except that on the new hard drive the Sigma Tel C-Major file has a yellow ! alongside it and device managers states that this driver is missing or corrupted.

The only difference is that the os on the old h/drive is XP Home and I have just discovered that the os on the new h/drive is XP professional.
Apart from that everthing is OK

I took your advice and got a 256 mb stick and put that in and along with the new hard drive it fairly fly’s along so thanks for all your past help

cream. 19:59 26 Jan 2010

" so, this is what worked for me. first, completely uninstall the sound card through the device manager. don't let windows reinstall it either. next, download the dell driver, and right click on the file, selecting "properties". click on the "compatibility" tab along the top of the properties window, and from the "compatibility mode" drop down menu, select windows xp sp2. click ok at the bottom. then, just to be sure, right click on the file and run it as an administrator. finally, make sure the sigmatel installer does all the work. don't let windows handle it. hopefully, this is something that gets fixed, because this is a pretty irritating issue, and has been bothering me all day, until fixing it now. hopefully, this works for you too. "

from click here

Pleased the extra memory give the machine a boost.

ray27 07:47 27 Jan 2010

When you say uninstall the sound card thro device manager
I am not sure how to do this as there there are 5 things under sound video and game controlers or do you mean uninstall the Sigma driver thanks for being patient cheers Ray

michaelw 09:07 27 Jan 2010

Did you install all drivers in the correct order otherwise problems can occur:

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10. Other Devices Intel vProTM or AMTTM - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Bluetooth ® Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

birdface 10:18 27 Jan 2010

Maybe try the free version of this.

click here

I believe it will only let you update 2 drivers a day on the free version.But see if a sound driver update appears and do that first.

Remember to make sure it is the free version.

ray27 11:17 27 Jan 2010

I didn't do a windows reinstall on this drive it came already installed but it was a bit bare the only thing on the desk top was Fire fox

As I said everything seems to work ok I can play Videos on Win media player but without sound and there is no device shown in the Sound and Audio Devices in Control panel

The drive were I did a windows xp install works fine so I must have installed the drive's in the correct order

cream. 11:54 27 Jan 2010

" When you say uninstall the sound card thro device manager
I am not sure how to do this as there there are 5 things under sound video and game controlers or do you mean uninstall the Sigma driver "

Yes. Uninstall all of them and any items with a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

Then follow the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017