No sound card installed??

pj1664 21:33 27 Jun 2007

As some of you might know that I ecently build my own pc and everthing is finally working apart from the sound card, The sound cable is connected to the speakers but there is no sound. It says in the controll panel that the device is not installed but how is that possible when the sound card is actully built in the motherboard and it is enabled in the BIOS as "auto". Is there something that I am missing to enable this sound card. The driver cannot install b'cause "apperantly" there is no sound card. Any ideas what can be done here guys?

Stuartli 21:35 27 Jun 2007

Might sound a silly question, but have you installed the onboard sound drivers?

Stuartli 21:37 27 Jun 2007

Try Enabling onboard sound under Onboard/AC 97 or whatever description is used in the Bios rather than Auto.

pj1664 21:37 27 Jun 2007

Hi Stuartli, All drivers fom the MOBO disk were installed after windows was up and running.

Stuartli 21:38 27 Jun 2007

Tried to stop first post (you had mentioned drivers), but too late..:-(

[email protected] 21:41 27 Jun 2007

Ah hah, fresh from the field...
The mobo requires the audio drivers to be installed, by you.
They should have come on the disc of utilities which should have come with the mobo, assuming it was new. If not, visit the site of the mobo manufacturer, find your model and download the latest audio driver and install it.
The "not installed" thing doesn't just mean physically, it embraces the software thing too ;-)

Stuartli 21:42 27 Jun 2007

Have you checked Device Manager for any exclamation marks?

Also check that the onboard sound has Enable This Device confirmed from the Properties tab in the drop down menu in Device Manager.

Could also be worth reading up the onboard sound side in the motherboard manual.

Stuartli 21:43 27 Jun 2007

Have you checked Device Manager for any exclamation marks?

Also check that the onboard sound has Enable This Device confirmed from the Properties tab in the drop down menu in Device Manager.

Could also be worth reading up the onboard sound side in the motherboard manual.

[email protected] 21:45 27 Jun 2007

Try this:
Go to Ctl Panel>Sound & Audio Devices>click the Audio tab and make sure the selected audio device relates to the driver IE AC97 if it's a VIA driver.

umbongo(uk) 22:03 27 Jun 2007

lol wotbrus
didnt u have this issue

right pj164 find 2 posts
one by wotbus and one by monkey1986
read both posts as they will help you

sound isnt auto installed if it is onboard
still need to load it from motherboard driver cd

nvidia is an all in one program if your motherboard uses nvidia 3 4 etc chipsets etc
or you can get mix and matche with other motherboards
example:: via motherboard chipset but use,s realtek audio drivers

the auto in bios is there because if you buy a seperate sound card you turn off the onboard and use the dedicated card for audio which reduces the motherboards system resources giving it a boost as the dadicated card takes care of the audio

pj1664 14:25 28 Jun 2007

Thank you guys for all your input, I am going to try out everything you have suggested this afternoon and let you know how it went. Oh P/s how do I access wotbus and monkey1986 posting?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache