No sound card - help please

  bexley42 10:48 13 Jul 2007

I have an old Compaq tower with no sound card and no jack sockets on the back to plug in my monitor leads. Is there an external sound card that I can attach - maybe USB?

  kinger 11:02 13 Jul 2007

Cretive labs do a series of cards.

click here

  kinger 11:03 13 Jul 2007

Should read: Creative Labs

  Pamy 11:03 13 Jul 2007
  Totally-braindead 12:39 13 Jul 2007

The USB ones are expensive, if you are certain there is no jack sockets and its an old PC then just buy a cheap PCI card such as click here you need Win 95 or above.
Or pop into your local computer shop they probably have a cheap one for about a tenner.

  bexley42 16:34 13 Jul 2007

Totally-braindead - thanks. Is this attached by USB or do I have to open tower (not likely). Regards, Ann.

  bexley42 16:35 13 Jul 2007

Pamy - thanks. This looks interesting if a bit expensive. Regards, Ann.

  bexley42 16:37 13 Jul 2007

Kinger - thanks. Is this internal or external.

  Stuartli 16:42 13 Jul 2007

Monitors do not use jack plug sockets - you need VGA and, therefore, a graphics card as well.

  Totally-braindead 16:42 13 Jul 2007

The one I gave a link to installs internally in a PCI slot, they are the white coloured slots you will have 2, 3 or 4 of them.
They are not differcult to fit.
If you really want an external USB one then perhaps this click here but as you can see its more expensive and it only supports win 2000 or XP, if you don't have either of them then you might as well forget it as I'm not 100% sure but I think any USB one needs at least windows XP.

  Totally-braindead 16:43 13 Jul 2007

Stuartli you've lost me there, its sound they want isn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?