no sound aftr xp sp2 re-install

heepster 18:33 03 Nov 2008

I have a evesham machine and have had to re-install xp after a hard disk failure. Now I have no sound.This has happened before and I remember its a windows setting not drivers, as it has onboard graphics. Anyone know the answer to this? As I said i KNOW its a windows setting, but just cant remember how it was fixed last time.Made sure audio is set to automatic in control panel windows settings.

chub_tor 19:21 03 Nov 2008

If you are certain that it is not a driver problem - ie you have been into Device Manager and made sure that it is working OK - then have you checked that it is not muted in Control Panel Sound?

woodchip 19:27 03 Nov 2008

You need to load drivers, you have lost them on the old drive. If you look in Device Manager you will see a yellow icon under sound media

lotvic 19:56 03 Nov 2008

After you had re-installed XP, did you also install the motherboard drivers?

heepster 21:17 03 Nov 2008

I havent loaded the motherboard drivers as I thought it was a windows problem Will do that tomorrow and report back. many thanks.

woodchip 21:24 03 Nov 2008

If its onboard Sound it will load the drivers for it

heepster 19:28 05 Nov 2008

I have sound now after installing drivers from motherboard cd. Strange as the previous reinstall automatically loaded the drivers from xp.Many thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

chub_tor 15:01 06 Nov 2008

Nov 3 "its a windows setting not drivers, as it has onboard graphics. Anyone know the answer to this? As I said i KNOW its a windows setting"

Nov 3 "I havent loaded the motherboard drivers as I thought it was a windows problem"

Nov 5 "I have sound now after installing drivers"

Don't these things just come back to haunt us!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017