no sound after installing DVD burner

Andy.F. 13:25 10 Aug 2006

hello good folks.. I removed the CD burner from my next door nieghbours computer and replaced it with a DVD burner. now for some strange reason the sound refuses to work on the computer. creative soundblaster audio pci 128 (wdm). a sound cable was attached to the CD burner as well as the DVD rom so I attached it back to the DVD burner.. I tried disconecting the drive without joy...reinstalling sound drivers and checking it was seated properly to motherboard..still silence..volume and other obvious things have been checked as well as changing speakers..do you think perhaps the soundcard has failed..all appears well in device manager. where the cable fits to about the centre of the soundcard there's another conection with nothing on it and I dont see anything that connects to it...any ideas please..many many thanks..Andy

johndrew 13:54 10 Aug 2006

Have you tried refitting the CD burner and checking if the sound is there? If it is the chances are it`s related to the DVD-RW.

You could also go into `Device Manager` right click the drive and then `Properties` and see if the drive is enabled and working properly under the `General` tab, the volume is up under the `Properties` tab and the `Enable digital CD audio.....` box is ticked.

You could also use the `Troubleshoot` option if you need more help.

Gongoozler 14:00 10 Aug 2006

Hi Andy.F. The cable from the DVD burner to the sound card has little function these days. It's a leftover from when sound processing was analogue, whereas these days it is all processed digitally. The cable does no harm, it's just that generally it's superfluous.

Have a look in Disk Management. Control panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. In the bottom right hand window, locate your DVD drive, right click and select "Properties". Click the "Properties" tab and check that there is a tick in "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device". Also check the CD Player Volume slider is at high.

Andy.F. 14:10 10 Aug 2006

thankyou...but its not just the drive that wont deliver sound....there's no sound whatsoever coming from the computer...if I take the drive out and reconnect the old CD burner it's the same..no sound. all volume controls etc. are up and sound drivers reinstalled... no joy m'friend

Stuartli 14:10 10 Aug 2006

Also check the Volume icon's settings panel (double click on the icon in the Taskbar) to ensure that CD Digital is not Muted.

Gongoozler 16:28 10 Aug 2006

A failed sound card is a distinct possibility. Check carefully that you haven't done something silly like plugging the speakers into the wrong socket. If everything is as it should be, I suggest that you download the drivers for the card, then delete the card in Device Manager. Remove the card and reboot without the card fitted. Then refit the card and reinstall the drivers. If that doesn't work, then consider a new card.

Andy.F. 17:10 10 Aug 2006

a huge thankyou to all, I will try as you say Gongoozler and if it dose no good a new card will be the option chosen. thanks again..Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires