No Sound

twitcher 23:15 26 May 2010

I have a HP Pavilion a6442uk PC running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. It's connected to a HP w2207h monitor with inbuilt speakers. Realtek High Definition Audio is installed. Everything has been running normally for several months until yesterday when I discovered that the sound was not working.

When I attempt to play a disc or any music/sound from Media Player or the Internet no sound comes through the speakers. When I click on the speaker icon it shows that the speakers are on and sound waves are shown, indicating that sound from the external source is being received. I have checked the audio connections and these are OK. “System Information” shows audio to be working normally and “Device Manager” shows the Monitor, Sound, Video and Game Controllers to be working properly.

I'm at a loss to know what's wrong. Can anybody help please?

northumbria61 00:07 27 May 2010

You haven't accidentally "muted" your speakers I hope ?

Cara2 00:46 27 May 2010

Sorry cannot help, but am interested in this query as my friend also has no sound on her HP PC.

Recently reformatted it so wondering if this created the problem. Othewise, just like you, everything seems ok.

No, in my case, nothing muted.

twitcher 10:39 27 May 2010

No, nothing muted. Everything is shown as working normally, just no sound. Haven't uninstalled/reinstalled anything recently.

Weird but annoying as I wanted to do some work using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab but can't hear the recordings.

Sea Urchin 11:07 27 May 2010

When you look in Device Manager do you see any errors highlighted against your Sound card?

BRYNIT 11:20 27 May 2010

From the instruction manual you have a volume control at the front of the monitor. Have you accidentally turned the volume down.

twitcher 18:22 27 May 2010

No, no errors shown in Device Manager and volume control on the monitor works normally. Everything is shown as working normally, just cannot understand it.

BRYNIT 19:18 27 May 2010

You could look in control panel/sound/playback devices and check that the speakers are set as default.

tullie 19:21 27 May 2010

I suppose the volume icon in task bar is showing ok?

Woolwell 20:11 27 May 2010

I have a a6642 too. I have 5.1 speakers tho so not the same set up. In the system tray you should have a brown speaker icon for the sound manager (it may be hidden so expand your system tray). Right click and select sound manager. You need to check that it is configured correctly and it will also indicate which cables are connected to which socket on the pc. You can test from there.

twitcher 23:52 27 May 2010

I've already checked and rechecked all the above and as far as I can see everything should be working normally - but it just isn't. The ordinary tray speaker icon and the brown Realtek HD Audio Manager indicate that sound is comming through, I just can't hear it. I've turned the volume up to full, turned all the Windows sounds on, unplugged everything, plugged it back in again - NOTHING!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017