No Sound

morddwyd 15:53 16 May 2010

I seem to have lost all audio - mp3 files, CDs, radio, system sounds. (Win 7 64 bit(.

I tried restoring a three months old Acronis image, but just the same, which makes me think hardware (on board asdio, AC97, confirmed enabled in the BIOS).

I've gad s search through this forum and tried the most obvious (and easiest!) without result.

Device manager shows a problem with VOIP, but none with AC 97

any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:04 16 May 2010

As its all audio system sounds and mp3 then audio card or drivers problem.

first check all volume controls that nothing is muted
then I would uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

ashdav 16:04 16 May 2010

Check default audio device setting.
Control panel/sound

rdave13 16:49 16 May 2010

Check in services that Windows Audio is started and on auto, also, that Windows Audio Endpoint Builder is also started and on auto.

morddwyd 07:04 17 May 2010

Thanks.

Already checked all controls are set correctly, and the volume control shows the fluctuating bar, indicating that a signal is being output to somewhere!

Already uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, and confirmed default audio setting.

Have already confirmed that Windows audio is on and on auto, but I will check Endpoint Builder later on, and update.

ronalddonald 07:14 17 May 2010

sound drivers??

ashdav 09:04 17 May 2010

Do you have external speakers and are they working ?
Can you try another set ?

ashdav 09:05 17 May 2010

Speakers plugged into green socket ?
The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

morddwyd 12:47 17 May 2010

Endpoint builder confirmed on auto and started.

Using phones rather than speakers. I'm a bit loath to unplug the hi fi from the tv and connect to the computer (no hardship, but it's a 17 foot room and they're at opposite ends!) but it might come to that.

Green socket confirmed (first thing I did, been caught out by simpler things than that in the past!).

What is puzzling me a bit is that restoring to a three months old Acronis image, when the audio was OK, has had no effect.

That image would have totally reloaded the o/s and drivers to a known working state.

ashdav 13:32 17 May 2010

Did the phones work before and do they work in something else ?

Woolwell 15:50 17 May 2010

Is this on your laptop? Is there sound without the phones plugged in at all? Is the plug fully home?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017