no sound

hamunaptra 08:20 18 Apr 2009

i have a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop it was installed with windows xp. I have now upgraded it to Vista Home Premium. The problem is i now dont have any sound at all. Everything that should be enabled is (to my knowledge). I have tried updating drivers, disabling and enabling. I am just getting nothing from playing DVD or CDs, no windows start up noise or no asterisk noises.

harps1h 08:24 18 Apr 2009

it may be possible your onboard sound doesn't like vista. you should check the website of HP and post a question to their CS

birdface 08:52 18 Apr 2009

In XP you could go to Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services.And scroll down to Windows audio and make sure it was set to automatic.
It can also be switched off on the Bios.But its been a while since I looked in mine so not sure where to find it now.

Uboat 13:20 18 Apr 2009

hamunaptra
DONT worry i think here is the solution!!

you need to d/l the new driver via this website!!! be warned the website is sloooow so dont think its ur pc!! just be paticent & it will come, click on the box then the screen will take about 10 seconds to take u to the next stop where u can easly find the operating system driver u need then just click on "GO"

any probs let me know!!!

click here

Uboat 13:24 18 Apr 2009

OH BTW click on the "High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)"

THEN at the top of the page u will see this text

"Vista Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)" ALL u need to do then is click on teh "GO" text to the right!! then wait 20/30 mins for the driver it DOES after installing need a reboot!!

Technotiger 13:30 18 Apr 2009

If you had downloaded and ran the VISTA upgrade Adviser before installing VISTA it would have directed you to the same site advised by Uboat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?