No Sound :(

Ardillo06 22:21 31 Jan 2008

Hi! My problem is I have no sound! It was fine one day then vanished! Nothing is on 'mute', speakers are brand new and the audio device detects Realtek AC'97-although I have a soundblaster 5.1 soundcard!! So that makes no sense. I tried downloading soundblaster drivers but it says it can't detect the hardware?! I physically went into the tower and checked nothings out of place-its all fine. I bought the pc from the classifieds and it was home built so the specs are: ABIT AV8 motherboard, NIVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics card & my soundcard. I got a new geforce driver just in case but that didn't work. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions! The only thing I havn't done is re-install windows as I don't have a memory card yet! Thankyou for your time :)

brundle 22:54 31 Jan 2008

Control Panel/, Sounds & Audio devices ; make sure Playback device is set to Creative/Soundblaster.

Stuartli 00:05 01 Feb 2008

This is probably the thread title that beats all the rest...:-)

click here

Ardillo06 12:10 01 Feb 2008

The playback is set to realtek and thats the only option I have??!! How on earth do I change it :/. The guy I brught it from has left me no cd or info for the soundcard so re-installing is not an option. Please help :)

brundle 12:12 01 Feb 2008

Where are you audio leads plugged in - at the back of the machine near all the other periphals (USB, mouse, keyboard etc) or into the SB card? Does Device Manager show the SB card?

Stuartli 12:16 01 Feb 2008

You need to Disable AC '97 onboard sound in the Bios.

Ardillo06 13:13 01 Feb 2008

I FIXED IT I FIXED IT!!!! Thankyou for all your help but the problem was very simple and I've been very stupid! Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone