no sound

orihuela 15:40 03 Mar 2007

I have lost the sound from my desktop pc computer. I dont have any external speakers attached. I have gone through all the checks available to me on the computer but still no sound. I havent downloaded anything or done anything out of the ordinary recently. All leads and cables checked too.

I suppose the only thing left is to download an updated driver but when I go onto realtek website its very confusing offering loads of different downloads.

What should I do?

Jackcoms 15:45 03 Mar 2007

Am I missing the point? You say:

"I dont have any external speakers attached"

Perhaps that's why you can't hear anything - or do you use headphones?

You can also check in Volume Control. Right click on the loudspeaker symbol in the task bar at the bottom right. Open Volume Control and ensure that nothing is muted.

orihuela 15:51 03 Mar 2007

As I said I have done the checks - nothing is muted in the volume control. I have never used external speakers, my sound comes from the pc monitor - or used to anyway.

Jackcoms 15:59 03 Mar 2007

Have a look in Device Manager and check that there are no yellow exclamation marks (indicating, as you suggest, a driver problem).

Right click on My Computer; Properties; Hardware; Device Manager.

If you look under 'Sound, Video and Game controllers' that should give you a clue as to the model of your sound card.

orihuela 16:13 03 Mar 2007

Yes, I've looked in device manager but there isn't a yellow exclamation mark. Does that suggest that I shouldn't download another version of the driver as its OK? What should I do next do you think?

brundle 16:17 03 Mar 2007

Do you get sound if you play an ordinary CD via the PC?

Jackcoms 16:17 03 Mar 2007

System Restore?

orihuela 16:29 03 Mar 2007

CD no sound either
Done a system restore - no change

birdface 16:31 03 Mar 2007

If you can go into Sounds and Audio devices in control panel and you can move the slider about there cant be mutch wrong with it,Make sure you dont have it dissabled on the keyboard.

orihuela 16:36 03 Mar 2007

Yes I can move the sliders, but sound isn't muted on keyboard.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Can you confirm that I shouldn't download an updated driver if there is no yellow exclamation mark showing in device manager?

Jackcoms 16:40 03 Mar 2007

"Can you confirm that I shouldn't download an updated driver if there is no yellow exclamation mark showing in device manager?"

No, that's NOT the case.

The yellow exclamation mark indicates that there is a problem with the driver.

Updating the driver will do no harm and may even solve the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?