No Sound

wanderer227 13:50 25 Apr 2006

We have recently bought a new flat screen monitor and had to reinstall windows XP. Since then we have had no sound. The computer states that it can not detect the sound card or devices connected to it. Have a sub-woofer and it is not causing the problem. I have tried everything I kmow of can any please help?

Devil Fish 14:00 25 Apr 2006

sound like you have not got drivers installed for the sound card

is it onboard sound or a pci card

wanderer227 14:38 25 Apr 2006

its a pci card. we get crackles from the speaker but thats it. Where do you find the list of drivers? Which are the best ones?

Devil Fish 14:45 25 Apr 2006

if you know what card it is you can get drivers from the manufacturers website or a third party site such as driver guide click here or you may already have a disk

if you dont know you may have to open the case to see what it is

Rich.B 15:56 25 Apr 2006

If the drivers were not installed the Found New Hardware Wizard would run every time the pc was booted up. have a look in the BIOS to make sure on board sound is disabled and the PCI card enabled. Check in Device manager

wanderer227 16:36 25 Apr 2006

looked on add new hardware to see if this could shed any light on the matter and it is says that the multimedia controls are not installed and that it can not find the drivers for it. Could this be part of the problem?

Totally-braindead 16:50 25 Apr 2006

If you look at control panel, system, device manager are there any exclamation marks. If so then try downloading SIW, hopefully it will tell you what sound card you have click here.

Devil Fish 18:10 25 Apr 2006

sorry had to dissappear for a couple of hours

re earlier suggestion

i think the only way you are going to find out what it is , is by openning the case and looking

system audit software picks up installed hardware without drivers as far as the system is concerned it is not installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?