No sound?

deneka 11:56 19 Mar 2004

A friend sent me a file containing an animated video and sound. When i viewed it on his laptop it was working fine, but he's emailed it to me, i saved it & when i open it. I can see the video but there is no sound. I have my speakers on and turned right up !!

Does anyone know if there is a specific tool i need to get the volume?

I have had similar problems with other applications aswell where i've had no sound :(

Giggle n' Bits 12:01 19 Mar 2004

when he created this files, it could be quick time, Real Player, Creative's software used with Blaster card.

What type of file is this ? You need to Right click and select properties on it.

xania 12:29 19 Mar 2004

Can youplease be more specific about when you do and don't get sound. Also, what OS and what sound card (if on-board, what mobo)?

deneka 13:42 19 Mar 2004

Ok I'm not very good with pc's but will try to be more specific .

This pc when we bought it was advertised as having on board sound, which we took to mean, didnt need a sound card. We initially had problems and so put a sound card in which was taken from our old pc.

when playing games from for example shockwave.com they all have sound. But whenever someone emails me a link to a video clip with sound, I cannot hear anything. The picture is fine, just sound that i have a problem with.

So i don't know if that helps anymore or whether i have confused you even more, sorry if i have.

I am not 100% sure how to find out what type of file it is, have clicked on properties, the only thing that i can see that may mean something is .exe is that any use?

Thanks guys :D

xania 14:57 20 Mar 2004

Frankly, if the PC was advertised as having a card, and it did not work, I would have taken it back and got them to sort it out. However, its a bit late for that now. If your mobo has a sound card, oyu will ave to disable this in the BIOS before any ad-on card will work correctly. Did you get a manual with your PC - if so, it should tell you how to disable sound. Alternatively, if you can provide details about the model of the PC and/ot the motherboard in it, I should be able to dig out what you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?