No Signal No Post No Bios

EMM61 12:11 18 Oct 2009

Hello friends. Yesterday I replaced my hard drive (cos it was not good anymore) with a new Sata2 Western Didital_160gb. Switched on my machine and I can see that it was recognized. Then I entered in Bios to set boot sequence preference from dvd rom to install windows, suddenly my pc froze….keyboard not responding etc etc, infact I did not have time to save my settings. When I restarted… nothing just a pop up NO SIGNAL on my screen and also no POST. I disconnected the drive and tried again …nothing. The fans are all working and also DVD drive. I also tried another video card and cleaned the RAM modules…..for nothing.
Motherboard ASUS P5GD2-x. I will appreciate all your response thank you.

OTT_Buzzard 12:16 18 Oct 2009

Probably a PSU failure. Timing is coincidental to a new hard drive being installed.

EMM61 12:33 18 Oct 2009

Thanks OTT_Buzzard.... Negative,I tried another PSU but the result keeps the same.

sharpamat 12:50 18 Oct 2009

Was your old drive also SATA if not did your load the drivers

EMM61 13:11 18 Oct 2009

Yes infact it was sata 1 not sata 2...thx sharpamat for repling.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 18 Oct 2009

Remove drive see if there is a jumper to restrict the drive to SATA 1 speed.

Also see if the machine will POST with the drive remove, you should get to an error message about no drive detected or no boot device detected.

EMM61 19:12 18 Oct 2009

Hello fruit Bat...No there are no jumpers on the harddrive (WD Caviar blue sata2_160gb) and when I bought it, sales man told me that although it is sata2 it will reverse to sata1 when installed. I think the problem is not the hard drive cos I disconnected every thing, i only left DDRAM, video card and obviously psu ON and still faced with the problem. Thank you.

OTT_Buzzard 19:14 18 Oct 2009

Unplus the computer, remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so.
Put it back in and try powering on again.

woodchip 19:45 18 Oct 2009

Remove the Drive Plugs then see if it will post

woodchip 19:53 18 Oct 2009

Sorry I see you tried it, so i will Go with PSU though you tried one it may not be a good enough PSU
Does it have separate Graphics card Plug from PSU 20 Pin or 24 pin etc you need to check all

EMM61 20:11 18 Oct 2009

Sorry woodchip i did not understand your question when you said "does it have separate graphic card plug" my psu unit is 24 pin and it have 2 fans, 1 in te back and 1 in the bottom. And to answer our dear friend OTT_buzzard...I did clear the cmos, I removed the battrey and also moved the CMOS jumper on the mobo as described on the user manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?