No signal message on monitor

Deester 11:04 07 Jun 2007

Hello,

I've recently built a budget pc and everything was fine and I was able to install xp and was up and running.
4 days later I got a 'no signal' message on my monitor when I booted up my pc.
I've checked all the connections between the pc and the monitor and there doesn't appear to be a problem and I've also tried connecting it to another monitor and the same message appears.
I've checked all the connections on the motherboard and from the power supply, taken them all out and put them back again but the problem persists.
I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the onboard graphics card, although it was fine to start with.
I've also tried attaching an additional graphics card to the motherboard but this hasn't helped and I don't know whether the pc would automatically default to the onboard card in the first instance anyway?
Can anyone help before I throw it out of the window?!!
Thanks in advance

wee eddie 11:56 07 Jun 2007

That you haven't lost a pin in one of the sockets

Grantrh 12:00 07 Jun 2007

There may be a setting in the BIOS of your motherboard which changes between onboard and non-onboard graphics. You could also try a different monitor too if you have access to a spare one.

Grantrh 12:01 07 Jun 2007

Sorry - didn't see you have already tried a different monitor.

Grantrh 12:13 07 Jun 2007

I would also try a different VGA cable too.

jack 12:16 07 Jun 2007

When you tried a second monitor was this with the same Data cable?
I know this has already been asked.
But the data cable pins are easily bent to that 2 will go into one hole or mis a hole altogether
Careful examination of this both ends is worth the trouble.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 07 Jun 2007

Do HDD and fans run?

Led flashing?

Do you get any beeps when it POSTS?

Deester 14:25 07 Jun 2007

Thanks for the quick replies.
When I used the second monitor it was with that monitor's VGA cable, so I don't think that's the problem.
I have also checked the pins and these seem to be fine.
All the fans run OK. There is a red and a green LED, both of which are lit up when I boot the pc.
I don't however get any beeps when I turn it on.

jack 14:40 07 Jun 2007

Check the MoBo handbook for the beep signal list

Check also the power connections.
A Modern board will have the normal 20 pin connector plus a similar 4 pin connector for 12v
Both of these must be connected the 4 pin powers the processor.
If the power supply does not have a 4pin plug in its harness then adaptors and be obtained to fit across the 20 pin main.
With only the main you will get and and lights but nothing else.

Deester 14:54 07 Jun 2007

Jack,

I will check the handbook when I get home re the beep signal list.
There is a 20 pin connector that seems to be seated fine and also a 4 pin connector that fits adjacent and again seems to be seated fine. I removed these and replaced them again when I checked all the other connections.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:08 07 Jun 2007

Remove & reseat memory

IS the cpu getting warm?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?