No signal

adfather 12:12 14 May 2009

Having plugged in a usb hub that was obviously faulty my machine was stoppedin its tracks...total power down. On powering up I have been unable to get any signal to monitor,,,this could be damaged m/board or graphics card...how can I test which?M/Board - Asus P4C800-E, Graphics card LEADTECH wINFAST a400.

Stuartli 12:47 14 May 2009

Did you insert the USB plug the wrong way up?

adfather 14:13 14 May 2009

the usb is not my concern...I have now removed all usbs, hard drives etc leaving only the mother board and graphics card in situe.When I power up the mother board has power, box fans run etc,but I get no signal from the graphics card.Monitor & cable are ok. The question is how do I test if the board or card has been damaged?

take out graphics card and power up if the mobo works you should get a post beep to say no card found

Stuartli 16:41 14 May 2009

Actually it is if the USB plug was inserted upside down - it can/could have damaged either or both of the components.

I know because I did it myself accidentally about three years ago during a Skype conversation and attempted to plug in a USB device too hurridly.

adfather 13:21 15 May 2009

Hi, thanks for help but not there yet... power up without graphics card...no bleep response...but if I plug in graphics card but do not plug in the cards independent power I get a high pitched squark response.No signal showing either case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?