No shutdown after log off in XP Home.

SachaBoo 15:00 16 Nov 2008

My wife and I have separate user accounts both set up as administrators on the same computer.

When finishing a session in either account, the computer shuts down as required in about 75 seconds. However, if either of us logs off and the other user then logs in (without switching the computer off) then it becomes impossible to shutdown the computer at the end of that particular session. It remains permanently "hung" at the blue "windows is shutting down" screen. The only option is then to close down with the power button.

Has anyone got any solutions to this?

Regards,Roy.

Win XP Home SP3: Avast av free: Zone Alarm v8 free
Spyware Dr.(v6 no av):SAS Pro:SpywareBlaster.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 16 Nov 2008

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

Kingfisher 15:17 16 Nov 2008

this happens to me sometimes, I just left it at the "windows shutting down screen" and after a considerable time it did shutdown, dont know the cure but just leave it and see what happens

SachaBoo 17:28 18 Nov 2008

Thanks for the information. Will search through to see if I can find a solution.

Regards, Roy.

chub_tor 17:59 18 Nov 2008

I have used the same method as Kingfisher, ie leave it for a long, long time - anything up to 20 minutes or more. It has always shut down eventually.

SachaBoo 13:51 23 Nov 2008

In the past couple of days the problem has corrected itself without me having to do anything at all.
The only changes we made were to close down each user account session on finishing instead of using the log off/on system to change users. After a short time we tried the logging system again and surprise,surprise everything was back to normal as before.
One of the mysteries of computers I suppose!!
I only post this for information and to perhaps help someone researching the same problem in the future.
Thanks to all for your interest.
Regards, Roy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?