No screensaver, monitor won't switch off...

Sebby 21:42 05 Mar 2007

I have a Sony VAIO notebook with Windows XP Professional SP2 that I've had for a couple of years and I've never had this problem. The screensaver will not come on, despite it being set to 1 minute (I've tried many of the standard XP screensavers) and the monitor will not switch off, despite being set to 5 minutes in the power options. Like I say, I've never had this trouble in the past.

However, the strange thing is that both the screensaver will activate and the monitor will switch off when the computer is locked. I can't for the life of me think what it is...

I had a think about anything that I've installed recently that may be causing this, and the only thing is Diskeeper 2007. However, I stopped the Diskeeper service and it made no difference, so it can't be this.

I've tried reinstalling the graphics driver, but this made no difference either.

Any ideas?

woodchip 21:49 05 Mar 2007

Try running System Restore to a very old date

Sebby 21:49 05 Mar 2007

I don't really want to do that. I hate System Restore. :-(

SANTOS7 21:51 05 Mar 2007

This type of behaviour can be caused by a process running in the background preventing your machine from becoming idle.
Would suggest updating your A/V and spyware progs and doing a full scan..

woodchip 21:54 05 Mar 2007

Why what's wrong with Restore? it only correct problems, you will not lose your files by using it

woodchip 21:55 05 Mar 2007

PS I am talking about Windows Restore, not your CD restore disc that would wipe eveything of your drive

SANTOS7 21:57 05 Mar 2007

woodchip is right sometimes the system restore facility (got me out of some tight spots) is the simplest and easiest way to go, and it does work..

Sebby 22:03 05 Mar 2007

I realise you mean System Restore. I'm really not a fan of it. It will mess everything up, and it really has a bad effect on system performance. I'd sooner format. :-)

By the way my antivirus is up-to-date, and I'd be extremely surprised if I had any spyware, but I'll run a scan anyway.

woodchip 22:08 05 Mar 2007

If you have a full XP CD you could try System File checker with the CD in the drive.

From Run Box SFC /SCANNOW will check for corrupt Windows Files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?