no safely remove icon in taskbar

mac75 20:13 21 Oct 2006

my granddaughter's pc has lost the safely remove icon in the taskbar. can anyone tell me how to re-instate the icon.

thanks jim.

Technotiger 20:17 21 Oct 2006

Hi, if she is using XP then try a System Restore.

Cheers

woodchip 20:20 21 Oct 2006

As above only with XP and it's only there when you load a bit of usb hardware

anskyber 20:20 21 Oct 2006
  QuizMan 20:21 21 Oct 2006

Mine has an intermittent habit of doing that too. I'll be interested if others come up with a solution. If we're talking about USB memory sticks and the like, I usually right click on the drive in my computer and click on *Eject*. That normally shuts it down satisfactorily.

Oh, and she (you?) could right click on the taskbar, select *Properties* and in the Notifications section make sure that *Hide inactive icons* isn't selected.

mac75 20:21 21 Oct 2006

hi technotiger,

thanks for that info, she is using xp, so i'll give her a phone and tell her to try that.

jim.

QuizMan 20:24 21 Oct 2006

Look at that - 3 posts while I was typing.

Well done anskyber, I confirm your solution works a treat.

woodchip 20:24 21 Oct 2006

The problem with the above is that the files may get corrupted by not using safe remove

anskyber 20:25 21 Oct 2006

Another route is to right click the notification area at the foot of the page > properties > task bar tab. select hide inactive icons an choose those wanted.

mac75 20:28 21 Oct 2006

hi everyone,

thanks for all your help, i'm sure she'll get it fixed with some method. i'll tick this thread as being solved and go and phone her.

thanks again,

jim.

Technotiger 20:30 21 Oct 2006

Great - don't forget to Green tick this thread.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?