no room on laptap

unitedman 19:19 25 Jan 2009

I have a laptop which has this last while said I had little disc space left, and asks me to free some up, which puzzled me. Tonight I was looking on the properties on my computer and have found that on HARD DISC Drives there are 2 icons . One is called ACER(C:) the other is called ACERDATA (D:)
Has the hard drive been split ? The hard drive (D) shows 17.2Gb free space. Can someone help please?

Graham. 19:38 25 Jan 2009

Have you been storing data on C (desktop, My Documents, etc.? You should be saving stuff to D. There are two partitions on the hard drive.

If you open up some items on C, then save them to D.

unitedman 20:02 25 Jan 2009

Is there any way of combining them as it would be handier? Can anything be installed on drive (D)?

unitedman 20:17 25 Jan 2009

Is there any way of combining them as it would be handier? Can anything be installed on drive (D)?

Taff™ 08:10 26 Jan 2009

What Operating System are you using?

Acer partition their drives roughly into two which isn`t ideal. The reason for having two partitions is that the Operating System can reside on the C drive and your data on D. This means that if you have to reinstall your OS onto C the data remains intact. How big is the C partition and how much space is free on it?

You can for example move "My Documents" to the D drive as well as Music. This must be done from the properties of these folders on the location tab so that the OS keeps track of them and uses the new location by default. First of all though you need to work out how much data is in each of these folders.

mooly 12:30 26 Jan 2009

I have an Acer, and I think you will find running disc cleanup on the D partition will free a lot of space. Make sure that you click the more options tab and select delete shadow copies etc. This will delete old restore points etc. My Acer puts restore points on the D drive even though they are disabled. Asked on here over that and never found an answer.

unitedman 20:49 27 Jan 2009

Sorry for the delay in answering, thanks for all your help.I have transferred music files and freed up 25% on Drive C.. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?