No recovery CD

numbnuts2 15:43 25 Oct 2007

Hi,
I have been given a pc that has windows "Vista Ultimate" as the operating system.
The pc does not have the Vista CD or a recovery CD,(what do you expect for nothing).
As I am an honest person, I would really like to be legit and buy the Vista software.
My question is..would I have any problems installing another Vista operating system over the one already on the PC.
Any suggestions most welcome.

birdface 15:50 25 Oct 2007

Check the sides of the PC see if it has a Coa sticker with the Keycode on it.

crosstrainer 15:55 25 Oct 2007

It does, being the honest person you are...Contact Microsoft, tell them the situation (they will change the installation code) And part with your dosh:)

ventanas 16:21 25 Oct 2007

One small point, if Vista is already installed on your machine, what became of the DVD it was installed from?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 25 Oct 2007

Check the hdd and see if it has a recovery partition.

You now "own" the PC and the opsystem with license key.

You oly need a recovery disk if the system fails so a copy of the drive using Acronis is just as good if not better.

Are you wanting to wipe the drive and restart from fresh? If so why?

HCOOH 16:37 25 Oct 2007

You should be able to see the Key using Belarc Advisor if it's not available on the case.
click here

birdface 17:24 25 Oct 2007

You dont need a DVD to install Vista.click here

numbnuts2 17:39 25 Oct 2007

Thanks for all your replies.

A lot of useful information,especially the suggestion of using Belarc Advisor which I was not aware of.

Thanks once again.

Diemmess 17:45 25 Oct 2007

The PC has cost you nothing.
Buy Acronis if you don't have a copy.
Use it to make an exact copy of the system as it is now and working.

Use it again when you have developed the PC with applications and tweaks.

Go on using it to make regular updating backups and one day when it goes belly-up you can restore to the last in every detail and about 5-10 minutes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?