no ppp/adsl lights on modem- no connection

dmipne 20:20 13 Jan 2006

All phone sockets in house except main entry point have nothing in them.

I plug my filter in to main socket and connect modem and cannot get a permanent connection.

I unscrew the socket from the wall and plug the filter and modem directly in to the socket behind and connection works fine - only problem being I cannot then use my phone/sky !

BT engineer here for 2.5 hours yesterday and completely stumped. Tested all sockets, extensions etc and could find no problem. However after 2 hours, connection came back for a reason he could not explain. So he went away.

36 hours later - connection gone again unless I uunscrew main socket and plug directly in to line. Have tried switching everything off for half hour then switching on again but no luck.

Can anyone help?

john-232317 20:56 13 Jan 2006

Being a plumber, if it don`t work with the main socket, but works on the line, eeeeeeeeerm I reckon its a dodgy socket ;-)

dmipne 20:59 13 Jan 2006

bt engineer tested socket and came out fine

woodchip 21:05 13 Jan 2006

Needs a new BT socket, as it works OK from the test socket. Get back on to BT and tell them so

rupie 21:06 13 Jan 2006

I had a problem where sometimes the modem box refused to accept there was a socket on the other end of the cable, when I powered up my PC. sometimes this took 30min to clear itself and other times 30sec. There was nothing wrong with the phone lines. I had to phone the rip off rate line and the tech at the other end changed the settings in the bt modem configure software in the start menu. I hope this is of help

Daveboy 22:24 13 Jan 2006

You sound as if you have a proper NTE5 master socket, so, remove the plate that exposes test socket, your extn wiring should be connected to this plate, if there are any wires connected to terminal 3 (the ringer)- remove them. Now providing you have a filter in all other points (most importantly the Sky connection) you should have improved your Signal to Noise Ratio.
Just a thought also, do you have sky plus ? one of the supplied units can cause b/band interference.

Graham ® 09:37 14 Jan 2006

Could be there is a crossed pair on the extension wiring somewhere. Check from the master socket to every extension socket.

The correct colours are:

Blue wire with White rings to connector 2.

White wire with Blue rings to connector 5.

Orange wire with White rings to connector 3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017