No power to Acer Travelmate 2410

hzhzhzhz 20:21 22 Apr 2007

My daughter has just rung to say that her lappy refuses to power up.

She has tried another AC adapter, tried with the battery removed and tried with battery only but its dead.
She has some of her dissertation work on it which wasn't backed up and really needs to get it.
Is it likely to be a hdd fault?.

skidzy 20:26 22 Apr 2007

Maybe the best thing to do here is to remove the hdd and insert in a usb caddy then plug into another computer to retrieve the data.

Possibly a dead mobo im afraid.

hzhzhzhz 20:37 22 Apr 2007

Thanks skidzy. I didn't know that lappy caddies were available.

I dont know if she'd be happy removing the hdd herself so I will probably tell her to find a company somewhere in Nottingham who could do this for her. Any experience of lappy repairs in Notts anyone?. I have googled and found a couple but a recommendation would help.

hzhzhzhz 20:42 22 Apr 2007

Well, Ive just found 2.5 caddies 14.95 from directusbstore. If only I wasn't miles away from her I could do it myself.

skidzy 20:54 22 Apr 2007

You may find that some caddies need extra power.Some have 2 usb connectors,some 1 connector and some also work from the mains.
Now ive had my issues with caddies and now go for the mains powered ones.
Ebuyer are normally pretty good.

Removing the hdd should be pretty simple,normally a couple of screws on the bottom of the lappy or some even pull out on the side.

Pity you are not closer,could have let borrow one of mine.

hzhzhzhz 21:00 22 Apr 2007

Thanks for that offer skidzy. I might just get her to try removing it with some phoneline assistance from me :-)

I've removed hdd's from toshibas easily enough but not tried an acer.

skidzy 21:07 22 Apr 2007

You may find out that a usb to ide/sata convertor cable is cheaper.
click here

hzhzhzhz 21:15 22 Apr 2007

Good idea skidzy. I think I'll get her to post the machine to me and use one of those converters.

Thanks again.

freshwhips 09:35 04 Jan 2010

my battery went out two weeks after i bought this computer. then about a week after that the screen went black i cant connect to my other computer to transfer files what should i do? i thought acer was a good company but this was a waste ob my hard earned money

freshwhips 09:37 04 Jan 2010

this computer has lost me more money than i paid for it.

skidzy 22:16 04 Jan 2010

start a new thread in the Helproom, this one is nearly 3 years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?