no pictures on icons - hmmm

claire-g 15:50 28 Jan 2007

Small but irritating one...

Brand, shiny new computer, and having copied some clipart from a CD-ROM into a file on the desktop, I noticed that all the usual icon pictures for 'My docs', 'Internet Exp' have been replaced by the 'I've got no idea what this is' icon both on the desktop and the start bar, folders and contents still work. Have been following the steps on the F1 help thingy and managed to replace one or two using the Properties>Customise options. I'm not getting very far, any ideas? I've deleted the clipart bits too.

skidzy 16:01 28 Jan 2007

System restore Claire

Start/All programs/Accessories/system tools/system restore..restore my computer to an earlier time.

Arthur Scrimshaw 16:05 28 Jan 2007

download

click here

It's a Microsoft tool which gives you the option to rebuild icons and should sort out the problem.

claire-g 16:06 28 Jan 2007

Thanks for the quick response- first time I will have to use it. Restoring now will mean I'll lose a game and it's settings, but a small price to pay for a pretty desktop - cheers!
Note to self- make restore points manually every time I do something!!

Arthur Scrimshaw 16:09 28 Jan 2007
  Arthur Scrimshaw 16:10 28 Jan 2007

forgot to say it's the Tweak UI tool you need to get.

Totally-braindead 16:13 28 Jan 2007

claire-g that might not be the case, when I have used system restore it has only restored the windows files and has not touched anything else.

Arthur Scrimshaw 16:13 28 Jan 2007

when you run it, look for the 'repair' function at the bottom.

claire-g 16:17 28 Jan 2007

Thank you Skidzy, Arthur... I've bookmarked the pages you recommended and will give it a go. To add further confusion, the computer that is going wrong cannot connect to the internet until broadband sorts itself out and I can't download anything from this laptop as my company have given me severely restricted access. These changes will have to be made in a week or so.
Really appreciate the help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?