no pc's visible in workgroup !!

nogbad1 00:47 05 Nov 2007

I have 3 pc's called
PHOTOS (Xp pro sp2)
REDTEN (xp media centre sp2) and
LAPTOP (xp home sp2)
the first two are hardwired through my BT Voyager 2100 router. the 3rd is connected wirelessly.
All 3 can share the internet connection.
All 3 can ping each other by IP but not by name.
Photos can see itself only in the work group, REDTEN cant see any pc's in the work group and LAPTOP can only see PHOTOS.
I have run the setup wizard on all 3. Then spent about 20 hours searching forums and trying fixes. Anyone out there that can go through setting my network up PLEASE ???

JJCUK 10:29 05 Nov 2007

Hi Nogbad12
do you have sharing enabled, at least 1 folder must be shared on each pc I believe

nogbad1 11:23 05 Nov 2007

yes at least one folder shared to the network on each pc. i have also disabled windows firewall, avast antivirus and created a guest account on all pc's as a temporary measure but still no joy. Any sugestions appreciated.

nogbad1 13:08 05 Nov 2007

sorry, all of the above still stands except Laptop can only see itself and none of the others.
So to recap REDTEN can't see itself or any others in the workgroup.
PHOTOS can only see itself.
LAPTOP can only see itself.

The 12th Man 13:55 05 Nov 2007

..the workgroup name. All of computers will need to be on the same workgroup. I know you have run the wizard but by default, the Workgroup names in XP Pro and XP SP2 are different. If there is no joy, let us know and we'll start from scratch.

nogbad1 16:40 05 Nov 2007

I had actually noticed yesterday that one pc was in a different workgroup. I then changed it and they are all now in MSHOME. Unfortunately the problem persists

brundle 16:47 05 Nov 2007

Change them all to another workgroup name. Are the machines switched on and off at different times? Is one left on for longer than the others? An issue can occur with the `Master Browser` on networks that are often changed due to machines being on or off. click here

Run Hamachi on all three and save yourself the hassle. click here

nogbad1 18:23 05 Nov 2007

Great bit of simple advice. Changed the workgroup name to HOME. Now all pc's see all other Pc's. Brilliant and simple. How did that work ? Thanks for the advice.
Still got one slight problem REDTEN and Laptop can't access PHOTOS. Error message "photos is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource etc.
Any ideas what I need to change ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?