No option to use FAT32 on new XP installation

Colin 17:27 22 Mar 2003

I am currently in the process of building a new PC and am now installing XP Home upgrade as the OS. I have opted to use the whole of the Seagate 60GB HDD for XP. I have done this several times before, albeit only on drives up to 40GB, and I always got the option to use FAT32 or NTFS. On this installation I only have the option to format using NTFS (quick) or NTFS. I am sure that FAT32 can recognise drives up to 2 Terabytes. For information the HDD is attached to a Highpoint Rocket ATA133 controller card which has been correctly recognised on setup. I would prefer to use FAT32 rather than NTFS. Any ideas?

Colin 17:39 22 Mar 2003

I have just read the Microsoft KB article 314463.
Part of it says: "You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk." However, I think that I will take this opportunity to try NTFS.

Djohn 20:05 22 Mar 2003

I know it says that in the manual, but it gave me the option of either, and that was with a 40g drive.

I chose the fat32 and installed the O/S then all my Programs. short time later, after good advice from fourum users, I changed to NTFS. J

powerless 20:12 22 Mar 2003

You can choose FAT if you want and then covert to NTFS later on. You can convert whilst your files etc are on the drive a reformat is not necessary...

Although back-ing-up the important stuff will be wise...

To convert to NTFS from FAT32...

Go to start > Run > Copy and paste:

cmd /k convert C: /fs:ntfs

It will then change the file system of drive C to NTFS.

You cannot revert without using third partys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?