No option to install Automatic Updates - Win XP

PJS2003 11:30 07 Feb 2008

Hi,

I am using WinXP SP2 and have set the Automatic Updates to download and let me choose what to install. I noticed the yellow balloon in the taskbar informing me that updates were being downloaded however on completion the ballon disappeared and I was expecting another balloon to appear to allow me to then choose what updates I wanted to install. This did not happen.

When I choose to shut-down the PC I have an option of installing the updates and then shutting down, or shutting down without installing the updates. I choose the latter option as I do not wish all updates to be installed unless I know what they are.

The strange thing is, is that when I use my laptop (which is also running XP SP2 I get the same ballon informing me that updates are downloading and then another balloon allowing me to install exactly what I want.

I have located the updates in the Software Distribution folder however I dont want to click the update.exe of each update as I dont know what it is.

Can anyone please help?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Earthsea 13:41 07 Feb 2008

I always update everything, but you could go directly to Microsoft Update if that helps. click here

birdface 15:52 07 Feb 2008

Control Panel.Security center,At the bottom ,Click on automatic updates.Put the dot in notify me but don't automatically install them.Apply. Ok.See if that helps.

PJS2003 16:40 07 Feb 2008

Thanks both Earthsea and buteman.

I'll try buteman's option first and see how it goes.

Many thanks,

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?