No onboard sound

Doodles 16:01 15 Dec 2006

Hello, All of a sudden I am unable to get sound from my PC. It is onboard C-Media AC97 Audio device. When i locate device on PC and reinstall the sound works fine, but a few minutes later when i want to play another song it says no sound device can be found. When i go to sound and audio devices it states that on sound is installed, however i am able to located the driver for AC97 audio and am told device is working.So once again i reinstall and works for a few minutes!
Confused.
Please help.

birdface 19:44 15 Dec 2006

Try going into system manager,And roll it back driver to previous driver,

Doodles 20:42 15 Dec 2006

I have uninstalled driver, reinstalled and updated. When i check audio devices everything is ok. However after a few minutes indication is that there is no sound device on board so i go through the process of reinstalling device etc.
I am finding this quite confusing.
Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry Brown 21:08 15 Dec 2006

Do you have the original motherboard CD /DVD; if so try re-loading the drivers from there.
Terry

birdface 21:38 15 Dec 2006

Have you downloaded any audio up-dates from microsoft lately,Some folk have been getting the wrong one,s And are causing a conflict between the audio and the graphics,But if you dont have any yellow marks beside yours, It wont be that,

Doodles 10:11 16 Dec 2006

This has only been happening since the last automatic microsoft update.

keithlik 11:08 16 Dec 2006

If you are using Windows XP- try System restore to a date prior to the problem.
---or---
You could try (if you are connected to the Internet) getting your device page to automatically look for a better driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?