No mouse detected in Windows 98

John-241827 23:03 14 Apr 2003

Can anyone help please?
When I start my computer it says there is no mouse detected on the PS/2 port. I have tried two other mice which I know to be working and still no mouse detected. I have even tried a serial mouse which I also know is working, but still no detection. Any ideas?

AndySD 23:59 14 Apr 2003

Try restoring the registry to a previous date.

Start your computer, press and hold CTRL of tap on F8, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.

At the C: prompt, type

scanreg /restore

and then press ENTER.

Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

John-241827 17:35 15 Apr 2003

Thanks Andy,
I tried what you said but it didn't work. I've now gone as far as reformatting and reinstalling Windows, but still no mouse support. I think now it's a fault on the motherboard. Maybe time for a whole new computer. It's a couple of years old now anyway.

eccomputers 20:48 15 Apr 2003

Is there anything in your bios to turn on ps/2 mouse support?

Rtus 21:07 15 Apr 2003

Have you added a modem /Or been into the Bios/Moved any expansion cards about ? prior to noticing the mouse problem ?

John-241827 23:12 15 Apr 2003

I've looked through the Bios eccomputers, but can't see anything for turning on or off the mouse. I have not added anything new Rtus, nor moved any expansion cards.
Thank you both for offering your suggestions.

Rtus 23:44 15 Apr 2003

Go to your Settings >control panel>System>device manager see if mouse is listed view its properties and check its not disabled there.

John-241827 23:47 15 Apr 2003

A good idea Rtus thanks. I'll try it and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017